Six episodes into Angry Mom, I have one adjective to describe it. Splendid!
I am so enthused with this drama, I am doing a sprint review!
Borrowing a slice from my day job, for those who are not familiar with agile software development, a sprint review is typically conducted at the end of a 2 to 4 week sprint (multiple sprints make a release) to demonstrate a shippable product and to receive continuous feedback from its customers. It has parallels to kdrama productions that practice the live-shoot system (not without its perils) where audience feedback is incorporated back into the drama.
So, here I am! My own version of a sprint review one third into the full release of the ‘Angry Mom’ product!
The Report Card
- Kim Hee Sun is a gem! I am fast becoming a fan. Why haven’t I seen her before? Not sure how many actresses can seamlessly transform from an overprotective mom to high school kick ass heroine and make it believable
- Mother daughter chemistry is well done with the right amount of banter and sappy moments
- Superb casting, no one seems to be out of character; credit to the production for the coherent ensemble
- The pace is excellent; the layers are getting revealed in appropriate dosages keeping the audience interested without frustrating them
- In spite of its dark subject matter depicting many gritty, dirty humanity it has brilliance of light hearted humour nicely woven into key moments
- The level of suspense & cliffhangers, typical of dramas, are not out of place and tastefully executed
Food for Thought
- Princess Han and her minions; their shenanigans a bit over the top? So far still somewhat adorable but time to tone these down a notch?
- Characterization of the Vice Principal a tad unrealistic? Even the worst high school in the country couldn’t have put such a pussy character into a Vice Principal position, right? Let alone at a supposedly top school?
- How long can mom keep up her disguise without weaving a web of lies that get increasingly out of hand and becoming unbelievable? Can’t wait to see how the show can deftly navigate this theme!
- No Ah is super nice guy and he is starting to show a backbone; phew…sigh of relief!
- How did a strong, feisty woman like Kang Ja end up marrying a spineless husband? Can’t wait for the backdrop on this one :-<
- No romance so far which is just fine by me…I don’t ship Kang Ja with anyone…she’s a mom! But I can totally see Bok Dong and Ah Ran ending up together … that library scene was a start!
- Is Ae Yeon a villian or victim?
- Is Sang Tae an evil spoiled brat or is that just a facade?
So far Angry Mom is hitting all the right notes with me. It is certainly trending up fast to the upper echelon of my favourite drama list.